Thank you for visiting the Seafood Selector. We are currently performing a website update, and we are in the process of refreshing our ratings. Please come back soon!
Recommended servings per month
|Contaminant||Men||Women||Kids 6-12||Kids 0-5|
|Longfin squid (U.S.)||Mercury||4+||4+||4+||4+|
|Northern shortfin squid||Mercury||4+||4+||4+||4+|
- Most squid species are resilient to fishing pressure, since they have short life spans and reproduce prolifically.
- Even though squid appear fairly abundant in most places, squid fisheries around the world are largely unregulated and most populations are not well studied.
- Squid are primarily caught with bottom and midwater trawls, which can have high bycatch.
- Some Northern shortfin squid are captured by hook and line, a more eco-friendly method of fishing.
- Fishers of market squid utilize bright lights to lure squid to fishing boats at night with little bycatch or habitat damage.