Recommended servings per month
|Contaminant||Men||Women||Kids 6-12||Kids 0-5|
|Giant Pacific Octopus (British Colombia)||Mercury||4+||4+||4+||3|
|Giant Pacific Octopus (Alaska, pot)||Mercury||4+||4+||4+||3|
- Populations of the common octopus in many areas have been overexploited and mismanaged.
- All octopus destined for the U.S. sushi market is processed in Japan and labeled "Product of Japan," so identifying the origin of octopus sushi is nearly impossible.
- Some inshore octopus fisheries are sustainable and have a moderate impact on the environment, but most octopus fisheries, especially those offshore, exploit already low stocks, harm habitat and have high bycatch.
- Populations in Mauritania and Vietnam are in poor shape.
- Spain appears to have the most stable octopus populations.