Thank you for visiting the Seafood Selector. EDF is planning a new approach to providing information to consumers about good seafood choices. Please come back soon for updates.
Recommended servings per month
|Contaminant||Men||Women||Kids 6-12||Kids 0-5|
|Red porgy (U.S.)||Mercury||4+||4+||4+||4+|
- In the South Atlantic, red porgy populations appear to be recovering, although stocks remain overfished.
- The status of populations in the Gulf of Mexico is unknown.
- Management practices in the South Atlantic red porgy fishery are stricter than those in the Gulf of Mexico fishery.
- Bycatch is a concern in both the South Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.
- The hand fishing gear used does little damage to the ocean floor and habitat.